Monday, January 18, 2010

Yo quiero eating healthy

The death of Taco Bell founder Glenn W. Bell Jr. at age 86 this past weekend got me thinking that there may just be something to the recently-publicized Taco Bell Diet after all. Mr. Bell, who also helped establish Der Weinerschnitzel, had to have eaten food from his two fast-food chains over the years, right? Corn dogs and burritos and enchiritos and french fries and the guy lived to 86 -- I don't want to know what's in the corn dogs and the taco meat, but whatever preservatives are there must have worked for Bell. In college, my roommates and I were on the McDonald's diet one summer because my roommate worked there. It was Big Macs for lunch and Chicken McNuggets for dinner. Sometimes, on the rare occasions that we awoke before 10:30 a.m., we'd have a Sausage McMuffin. I guess calling our food choices a "diet" is wrong. It was "necessary eating" because we were poor college guys who couldn't cook. I actually gained weight that summer until right before school started, when my two months of unhealthy eating led to a week in bed with some mystery ailment that I attribute to one too many Quarter Pounder with Cheese. I lost close to 15 pounds over the next seven days and recaptured my pre-Mickey D's figure through unplanned purging and lack of eating. It's not the type of diet that I'd recommend, because I believe my meal choices -- along with some of my college beverage choices -- caused both the weight gain and the subsequent weight loss. Now, to get my fix of McDonald's, I'll sneak a fry or two from my sons and order a fruit and yogurt parfait instead of a caramel sundae with nuts. I miss the days that I could handle a Big Mac every day, because it was satisfying (the week in my sick-bed notwithstanding). In honor of Mr. Bell, I might even try an item from Taco Bell's Fresco Menu when I want to make an unhealthy, but lower-calorie meal choice. Never, ever, will I go back to a diet based on eating at one fast food place for every meal, because as much as I don't like to diet, I also don't like to die. (Photo courtesy of rochelle, et al's Photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinfoilraccoon/4061991419/)

No comments:

Post a Comment