Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Bare Mayor


Any tourist's visit to New York City wouldn't be complete without at least a quick glimpse at Robert Burck, better known as The Naked Cowboy. Wearing little more than white books, Speedo-like tighty-whities and a white cowboy hat, Burck spends much of his time playing guitar and singing for the masses in busy Times Square. Word came out recently that he would be throwing his cowboy hat -- and very little else -- into the ring as a candidate for mayor of NYC. During my family's visit to The Big Apple last August, we spotted The Naked Cowboy in downtown Manhattan, drawing the type of attention you'd expect a muscled, near-nude guy would garner in the world's most happening city. My mom and wife chuckled at the spectacle, and my dad and I couldn't help but smile as Burck posed for pictures with half-embarrassed tourists. Like the rest of us who wanted to take back memories of our trip to New York, they pushed any reticence aside and clicked away as the cowboy politely obliged. He is popular and recognizable, which are two traits any politician would love; though who's to say if a guy who doesn't wear a tie fits the mode of 21st Century politician. Then again, you get the feeling he's not a guy who would hide much from his constituents. And yes, I took the picture at right. My wife made me do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment